Gyroscopes are used in countless devices. From smartphones, tablets, and video game controllers to airplanes and space telescopes, gyroscopes perform tasks ranging from the everyday to the extraordinary. With this kit, children can explore the astonishing powers of the gyroscope by building seven motorized models, including a robot that can balance on two linear wheels and move along a tightrope!
Kids will learn about the physical science principles that keep the robot balanced, making it appear to defy gravity. By constructing seven different models with the motorized gyroscope unit, young engineers can experiment with and learn about the science of gyroscopic devices and the indispensable role they play in our lives.
The models include the gyroscopic robot, a balancing personal vehicle, a gyro horizon (or artificial horizon), a gyrocompass, a balancing game, a tightrope walker, and a flight simulator. At the core of these models is a unique motor-driven gyroscope. A gyroscope is a rapidly spinning wheel mounted in such a way that its axle can move in any direction. Because of the laws of physics, the gyroscope reacts to external forces differently than a non-spinning wheel would: it resists forces in certain directions. This behavior allows it to be used for all sorts of applications related to balance, rotation, and orientation.
Fun, hands-on experiments with the motorized gyroscope unit make these physical laws tangible and easier to comprehend. A child's spinning toy top is a simple example of a gyroscope.
Dr. Toy's Best 100 Children's Products of the Year; Oppenheim Toy Portfolio's Platinum Award; named a Gold Winner by the National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) Children's Products competition; named the #4 Toy of the Year by FamilyFun Magazine.
batteries are required (not included)
14.7 x 11.6 x 3.1
How to Get It
- This item can be shipped to the entire United States including Alaska, Hawaii, and all U.S. territories including Puerto Rico
- This item can also be shipped to APO/FPO addresses and to P.O. Boxes in all 50 states
- This item may be shipped via Standard Shipping, Expedited Shipping or Express Shipping
- Please Note: Some addresses are eligible for Standard Shipping only (APO/FPO, P.O. Boxes, U.S. Territories and Puerto Rico)
- Please wait for the Ready for Pickup e-mail before proceeding to the store; orders must be picked up within 5 Days upon the receipt of this email
- You will have the option to designate someone else to pick up your order during the checkout process
- You will be able to change the Store Pickup location during the checkout process
- In-stock status is approximate and may not reflect recent sales
- Orders placed for Store Pickup will receive online pricing and promotions