The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss is the literary equivalent of buried treasure! Seuss scholar and collector Charles D. Cohen has hunted down seven rarely seen stories by Dr. Seuss. Originally published in magazines between 1948 and 1959, they include The Bear, the Rabbit, and the Zinniga-Zanniga(about a rabbit who is saved from a bear with a single eyelash!); Gustav the Goldfish (an early, rhymed version of the Beginner Book A Fish Out of Water); Tadd and Todd(a tale passed down via photocopy to generations of twins); Steak for Supper (about fantastic creatures who follow a boy home in anticipation of a steak dinner); The Bippolo Seed (in which a scheming feline leads an innocent duck to make a bad decision); The Strange Shirt Spot(the inspiration for the bathtub-ring scene in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back); and The Great Henry McBride(about a boy whose far-flung career fantasies are only bested by those of the real Dr. Seuss himself).
In an introduction to the collection, Cohen traces the history of these stories, which demonstrate an intentional and significant change that led to the writing style we associate with Dr. Seuss today. Cohen also explores these stories' themes that recur in better-known Seuss stories (like the importance of the imagination, or the perils of greed). With a color palette that has been enhanced beyond the limitations of the original magazines in which they appeared, this is a collection of stories that no Seuss fan (whether scholar or second-grader) will want to miss!
10.8 x 8.0 x 0.4
How to Get It
- This item can be shipped to all 50 United States including Alaska & Hawaii
- This item is NOT eligible for shipping to APO/FPO addresses, U.S. Territories, Puerto Rico or P.O. Boxes
- Due to shipping restrictions, Ship Charges will be separate from other items in your order
- This item may ship by itself
- This item ships via Standard Shipping only
- This item is sold in our stores
- Orders placed for Store Pickup will receive online pricing and promotions
- In-stock status is approximate and may not reflect recent sales
- Not all items are carried at all stores. Please click the "Select a store" link to check product availability