Some of the biggest scientific breakthroughs in recent years involve things that are actually very, very small. The science of nanotechnology deals with the smallest structures, in the range of one to 100 nanometers in size. That's as small as just a few atoms in a row (one atom corresponds to about one nanometer)! With this kit, the intangible, nanoscopic world becomes accessible with hands-on experiments using both scaled-up models and real nanomaterials. Nanoparticles can be made of different materials and exist in a wide variety of forms - thin layers, tubes, balls, and tree-like structures. These particles can be coated onto surfaces, they can enhance other materials such as paint, they can be used as a delivery method for pharmaceuticals in the body, and much more. Specific applications include, for example, self-cleaning house paints and water-repellent clothes, anti-fog coatings on glasses, UV protection components in sunscreen, environmentally friendly antifouling coatings for ships (to prevent algae growth, thereby reducing fuel consumption), antibacterial coatings for medical devices, and materials to more effectively filter dirty water. Start out by conducting experiments concerning size, scale, and orders of magnitude in the International System of Units, to get a feel for just how small a nanometer really is. Explore how charcoal is like a nanoscale sponge with filtering experiments. Conduct experiments with the hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-hating) properties of different surfaces, which illustrate nanoscale properties. Shine a laser through a colloidal gold - a suspension of nanoscale particles of gold! Learn about the electromagnetic spectrum, laser light, electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy to begin to grasp how we can make nanomaterials visible. Experiment with a special material that mimics the nanostructures on a gecko's footpads that allow it to climb straight up a vertical pane of glass with ease!
- 72-page, full color manual
- 41 experiments
- Discover the world of nanoscale particles.
- Explore cutting-edge nano-materials.
- Learn how nano-materials are used in everyday life.
3 LR41 batteries are required (not included)
19.1 x 13.0 x 3.8
How to Get It
- This item can be shipped to the entire United States including Alaska, Hawaii, and all U.S. territories including Puerto Rico
- This item can also be shipped to APO/FPO addresses and to P.O. Boxes in all 50 states
- This item may be shipped via Standard Shipping, Expedited Shipping or Express Shipping
- Please Note: Some addresses are eligible for Standard Shipping only (APO/FPO, P.O. Boxes, U.S. Territories and Puerto Rico)
- This item is sold in our stores
- Orders placed for Store Pickup will receive online pricing and promotions
- In-stock status is approximate and may not reflect recent sales
- Not all items are carried at all stores. Please click the "Select a store" link to check product availability