create distraction free homework zones
We hope our children will be back in the classroom safely and full time this year. Even so, it will still be important that they have a dedicated, distraction free area to do their homework every evening.
Here are some suggestions to assure they have everything they need, even if their space is portable, in a nook or at the kitchen table:
- Spaced out for each child
- Well lit
- Within earshot of a parent or caregiver
- Comfortable chair
- White Board
- For To-Do Lists and Last-minute notes
- To set focus times, scheduled breaks and structured study blocks
- Bins to Separate Papers
- To Do
- For Review
- Once it is checked over, the paper should go immediately into the appropriate folder to be brought to school.
- Important tests, projects, artwork.
- To assure all tools are organized and easily accessible.
- Have each child make a homemade name plate.
- Incorporate each child’s favorite color into their surroundings or storage.
- Put up a board of fun images, photos and inspiring sayings.